Saturday 3 August 2013

UFC 163 - A Viewings Flop?

UFC 163 happens tonight in Rio, Brazil & features a featherweight title bout between Jose Aldo & The Korean Zombie. A $50 PPV event in the US and a new venture of BT Sports in the UK. How many people will splash money for the PPV or a new subscription in the UK is unknown but the card has been criticised on message boards as being particularly light on star power or meaningful bouts.

Aldo - Korean Zombie
An intriguing bout but one in which Aldo is expected to take with ease. The Korean Zombie is suprising and it seems at time unstoppable. Aldo on the other hand is a machine who tears through opposition. I don't see the Korean Zombie having much chance of walking into Aldo's kicks or punches all night and lean towards the champion for a stoppage victory. Aldo by clinical masterclass and TKO round 3.

UFC on BT Sport in UK
Lyoto Machida - Phil Davis
This fight has potential title implications for Machida and will throw Davis right into the mix with a win. Davis will not stand a chance on his feet against the Dragon and needs to get this to the ground pretty quickly. I think this is too much of a step up for Davis at this point. I see Machida stuffing the take downs and brutally KO'ing Davis in the 2nd.

Cezar Ferreira - Thiago Santos
I don't really know enough about these fighters as I never watched the Ultimatete Fighter Brazil. I am hugely confused why this is on the main portion off a PPV card when Ian McCall is on the prelims? I'm guessing its for the Brazilian fans. Anyway from what I do know about the two I would say Ferreira is the better all round fighter. I see him softening Santos up for two rounds before stopping him late in the 3rd with the overhand left. TKO / KO round 3 fr Ferreira.

Thales Leites - Tom Watson
Now I am a big Watson fan being British but I honestly feel he is going to come up short here. Leites experience wise has been in with the far better fighters and holds wins of Nate Marquadt & Jeremy Horn. Leites also took former middleweight champion and p4p great Anderson Silva 5 rounds in his quest to capture the UFC middleweight title. I see this potentially being fight of the night but feel Watson will lose a close decision. I see Watson gassing mid fight and losing a unanimous decision.

Me & Anthony Perosh
Vinny Magalhaes - Anthony Perosh
This fight I feel will be when Perosh receives his walking papers. An awful match up for him in my opinion. I feel Magalhaes can take this fight however he chooses. Second round submission for Magalhaes.

Ian McCall - Iliarde Santos
I am shocked where Uncle Creepy has been placed on this card. One of the more entertaining fighters in the UFC and in my opinion the only person to beat Mighty Mouse recently. I see McCall taking this fight with ease. Nice easy Unanimous Decision or late submission.

Overall the card is good if your a hardcore fan. For me I would never me any UFC event regardless of price but that's me. I have a feeling viewing figures worldwide will be low for this in comparison to recent PPV events. I shall be watching reluctantly on BT Sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment